How to write web content that sells
Every page on your website should have an objective. It could be to inform or engage your audience, or get them to buy something from you.
When it comes to selling products or services online, you need to tread a fine line between being too ‘salesy’, which may put people off, and not ‘salesy’ enough, which might not convey your important sales messages effectively.
Here are ten tips to writing effective promotional copy for the web, aka copywriting:
- Before you start, clarify your audience, main messages and desired response
- Write headlines and subheads that grab attention and express benefits
- Address a “problem” faced by the target market and provide a solution
- Focus on the benefits to the reader
- Build credibility through testimonials
- Give the reader the information they need to make a purchase decision, and ease any doubts or concerns they might have
- Include a clear call to action
- Use the tone and language most suited to your target audience
- Talk directly to your reader
- Be as clear and concise as possible, while still being persuasive